Select Page

The Cost of NET Care

Globally, neuroendocrine tumor (NET) patient families spent an essential proportion of their household income on NET care. NET patients have to face a huge economic burden alone without any healthcare coverage or proper reimbursement policies.

Help us spread the message for more adequate healthcare funding and better and more inclusive healthcare plans for NET patients. Visuals depicting the global costs for NET care are available in 11 languages for open and free usage below.

The SCAN Survey Statistics

SCAN data revealed significant expenses related to NET care covered by patients living in Advanced Economies (AE) & shocking figures for annual payments made by patients living in Emerging and developing economies (EDE). On top of this, for many patients NET-specialized services are practically not accessible.

  • 66% of NET patients globally declared оut-of-pocket costs related to disease management. This share was significantly higher for Emerging and Developing Economies (84%).
  • On average, NET disease management out-of-pocket costs paid by NET patients account for 5300 USD annually or approximately 440 USD monthly. [Huge discrepancies by economic regions were registered with annual average out-of-pocket costs of 4000 USD in countries falling under Advanced Economies (AE); vs 13000 USD annual costs in Emerging and Developing Economies (EDE)]
  • One third of EDE NET patients (33%) spent from 50% to 100% of their annual household income on disease management over the past 12 months.
  • A national healthcare plan that covered NETs was mentioned by only a third of EDE NET patients (30%).

Costs depend on the varying needs as each NET patient is subjected to regular treatments and check-ups throughout the year.

  • According to the healthcare professionals, newer, more specialized tools were the least affordable to all NET patients.
    • PRRT was reported as not affordable by 9% of AE HCPs and by significantly more – 21% of EDE HCPs.
    • Gallium 68 DOTA PET was reported as not affordable by 9% of AE and 10% of EDE HCPs.
  • Some of the leading specialized services, where available, were somewhat affordable or not at all affordable to NET patients, according to healthcare professionals around the world.
    • Psychological care with a private consultant – not affordable (9%), somewhat affordable (46%) [total: 55%]
    • Physical activities like yoga classes, trainings designed for cancer patients – not affordable (4%), somewhat affordable (46%) [total: 50%]
    • Caregiver paid to provide services to a NET patient – not affordable (5%), somewhat affordable (40%) [total: 45%]
    • A NET specialist – not affordable (1%), somewhat affordable (26%) [total: 27%]
    • A multidisciplinary team – not affordable (2%), somewhat affordable (25%) [total: 27%]
    • A clinical nurse specialized in NETs – not affordable (1%), somewhat affordable (21%) [total: 22%]
  • Psychological care was reported as available by only 13% of EDE HCPs.

Preview and download the social tiles

The cost of NET care is high. We need to change this. With education, comes change. Download the social tiles and help us spread the word. #wescan #letstalkaboutnets